Mosana - Part V

EPISODE 5

IF
I had been awestruck at the sea and the ship, I was completely flabbergasted at London. It was something out of a magical fantasy novel. It was like nothing I had ever imagined. There were people everywhere. All over the streets, people bustled, on their way to God-knows-where. The men’s clothing I was already used to, but when I saw the women, I marveled. What in the world were they putting on? Whatever it was, they all looked ridiculous in their funny hats and wide billowing skirts. It reminded me of peacocks what they wore on their heads.


And the markets. Everywhere something was being sold. Some I recognized, some I didn’t. It was very different from where I had come from. I gaped at all the colours and tall buildings, turning my neck nonstop from left to right.


Then a horse carriage passed me, and I screamed in fright. A lot of people turned at the noise I made with scorn on their faces, and I was embarrassed to have caused Ed that kind of attention. But he only laughed and held me from jumping out of my skin. He spoke soothing words to me and I calmed. I couldn’t understand what he said, but I guessed he was trying to explain what had frightened me. I couldn’t care less; his hands on my shoulders were enough consolation.


I didn’t know how to tell him I was sorry for screaming. After a while, I let it go. I knew he wasn’t angry with me.


I understand something must be confusing here. Let me tell you how I got separated from the rest of my people and ended up alone with Ed.


When we arrived at port, we were offloaded unto the docks. Soldiers immediately surrounded us. We were too blinded by the sun and awestruck at our surroundings to run anyway. We were held in their midst while they stood at attention and waited for… I didn’t know what. I turned my head to look for Ed and found him with one of the other soldiers. This one had not been with us on the ship but had met us at the docks. I presumed he was their leader, as his uniform was similar to what they wore but different in colour. His was shinier. He was listening to something that Ed was telling him as both of them walked towards where all of us were held. The moment he got to us (the other man, I mean), the soldiers made a path for him to access us. He looked straight at me, unsmiling. I held his eyes, unwavering. Ed said something to him and he responded. Then Ed signaled me out and I joyfully joined him away from the circle of captives.


I learned later that he had separated me from the rest so I wouldn’t have to stay in a holding cell. You see, the rest of my people were taken to a holding cell in the city where they would be bargained upon and bought. They would be processed first as slaves, tested for diseases, deemed physically fit for labour before they could be certified satisfactory. I was spared all that because of Ed.


And so we walked together, his hand on my back, gently guiding me through the busy streets. He allowed me to look around as much as I wanted to, smiling at some of my exclamations at the things I saw.


Finally, we arrived at a building; this one was not as tall as the ones I’d been seeing, but was wider than most. Ed led me inside and to a door. I could tell the door was made out of wood, but I had never seen wood made so beautifully. Ed directed me to sit on a chair just outside the door and I obeyed. Then he went in himself. While I had time to myself, I looked around. There were other doors like the one Ed went in to, made of the same fine wood. Some other white people passed me as I sat there. Some looked at me in surprise; I guess they didn’t expect to find someone like me there. Others paid me no heed.


Soon, the door opened and Ed called me in. I immediately began to look around once more. The things I saw inside the room were astounding. I gawked at the still pictures (Photographs. At the time, I didn’t know what they were), the objects made out of gold and silver (trophies and medals), the huge table (another thing made out of wood), and finally, the shelves filled with books. There were a lot of books.


Someone called my name, but I didn’t hear. Because as soon as I stepped into the room and walked a few steps, my feet, which were bare, touched on something exquisitely soft. I jumped a little, as I thought I had stepped on a cat. But it wasn’t a cat, it was a rug. As at then, I knew it was animal skin, but I couldn’t comprehend how they preserved the softness of the fur. The animal skin in Mai Buni’s palace was dry and smelly. This one here was soft and I happily sank my toes into it.


I felt Ed tap me and I looked up sharply. That was when I noticed the man behind the huge table. He was older than Ed and was looking between me and him. He urged me to come nearer and I did. Then he stood up from his chair and took a few moments to look at me. I felt he was inspecting me. But unlike the ‘inspection’ I underwent at my village prior to my wedding, I didn’t feel violated in this man’s presence. I wasn’t afraid as long as Ed was there.


The man behind the table sat down again after he was satisfied. Then he said something to Ed. I was getting frustrated with all this. I wanted to understand what they were saying. I wanted to be able to talk to Ed without using signs. I knew to achieve that I would have to learn their language, but I didn’t know how I was going to do that. I could ask Ed to teach me, but I didn’t even know how to communicate to him that I wanted to learn.


We left the room (please note that it was an office, but like I always remind you, I didn’t know then), after Ed took a strange thin, long object and dragged it across something flat and white on the table. It was a pen and paper, but then again, I didn’t know that.


Ed took me to his house. There I met his wife, Sarah. It wasn’t hard to guess that she was his wife, but I was surprised at how he spoke to her. He didn’t yell or curse her. He allowed her take his jacket and bag, but it didn’t look to me like she did it out of fear or compulsion, because she smiled. When he touched her, it wasn’t to harm her, but to caress. I realised immediately: she wasn’t his slave. He loved her. 


Ed had paid for me. Bought me as a slave, but I wasn’t treated as such. I was like an adopted child.


They didn’t have any children, but his wife had not been cast out as was the custom where I came from. That made me wonder. I began to dawn on me that these people were different. Ed was not like any man I’d known. He was kind and caring, always smiling. His wife was the same. She was white too, but she was pretty with her long nose and pink lips. Her hair was dark; at first glance, I couldn’t tell whether it was brown or black.


She gave me a change of clothes and showed me where to bathe after Ed told her about me. In the washroom, I realized I was still in my wedding clothes. With disgust, I discarded them on the floor like a pile of rags. I took a minute to stare at them; my last reminder of Aimatu. I thought of my mother again, but shook my mind off it. It was possible she was dead. Or maybe found a way to escape.


For the next few minutes, I concentrated on cleansing myself of dirt, sweat and grime. Sarah had given me a bar of something that scented like flowers and showed me how to use it. I discovered with delight that as I rubbed it on myself, it formed bubbles and made me smell so good. I took my time in there relishing the feel of water on my skin after so many days and the scent of the sweet-smelling bar.


When I was satisfied (although as soon as I came out of the bath, I wanted to go back in), I came out and tried to put on the clothes Sarah had given me. I couldn’t figure it out. So I walked to the door and peeped out, trying to see if I could find Sarah to help me out. I saw no one, and decided to wait it out. Sarah came a few minutes later to find me shivering. Guess she had wondered what was taking me so long in the washroom. She guessed my dilemma and quickly helped me put on the clothes. I saw how easy it was and berated myself.


Next was dinner. Of all the things I ate, I recognized none except corn and meat. Even the meat didn’t taste like it used to at home. It was sweeter and softer. After dinner, I moved to remove the plates (they were unusual plates to me at the time), but Sarah stopped me. She took them herself and went into the kitchen. I was bewildered. No one had ever stopped me from chores before. Ed just smiled.


A little later, I was shown to a room. From the way Sarah gestured, it looked like that was going to be my room. And it was. It was empty, though, with a lone bed in a corner, but it was more than enough for me. When I climbed the soft foam (I had never slept on something like that before), I sighed. Within minutes, probably before Sarah even got to her own bed, I was asleep.

___________________________________

Hey you,

No long notes today. Here is the next installment as promised. 

Enjoy!

xoxo,
Ava.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts