Mosana - Part XXV

EPISODE 25

There were a total of 31 slaves in the Russell Manor, most of us youths. Minus Judy’s parents made it 29. Minus Flint made it 28. Then minus Ms. Nan made 27. The rest of us left were me, Margaret, Melinda, Judy, Tricia, Gabe, his sister Aretha, Tina, Harvey, Sole, Richie, Angelia, Peter, Phoebe, Ruth, Castor, Cade, Elliot, Manny, Gertrude, Eunice, Mae, James, Janice, Mr. Fisher, Cora, and Bonnie.

By now, they all knew of my escape plan. One evening, after chores were over, I entered the slave quarters to find almost everyone crowded in the room I shared with Meg and Mel. I instantly knew what they were there for. But to make sure I understood, Tricia spoke up.

‘Word got round.’

I figured. The Russell slaves were a tight knit community; and coupled with the fact that we were all fenced in, I didn’t think I would be able to hide something like that for long. I decided to address them. But before I could speak, some of them gave their dissent.

‘This is crazy.’

‘I know,’ I responded.

‘It just might blow up in our faces.’

‘I know.’ I said again.

The voices began to rise and I knew I was losing them. I struggled not to panic. I didn’t want someone going to confess to Madam Russell out of fear. Judy bailed me out.

‘Quiet, y’all! Let her speak.’

I don’t know if it was because her voice was loud, or because most of them there had never heard her speak, that they went silent immediately. I threw her a grateful glance and quickly took the floor.

‘I plan to escape,’ I began. ‘As you well know. I think it’s possible, and I think we all can get out of here. Unless you all would like to remain here.’

‘And where would we go?’, someone asked from the crowd. It was Ruth. I looked straight at her, and dragged my gaze around the rest of them, making sure to catch their eyes.

‘Pennsylavania,’ I responded.

Someone else laughed. ‘Pennsylvania? Do you know how far away that is?’

‘Yes, I do. And I have it all planned out.’

‘Oh you do, don’t you?’ The same person spoke. Sole, I think it was.

I was starting to lose my temper. ‘Look, if you all don’t want to leave, fine. You can stay. But I’m leaving this place! Just make sure you stay out of my way. When I open those gates, you can make your decision to stay or leave with me.’

I looked around again and addressed what was actually on their minds. ‘And if I am caught, then you all are free to deny you ever knew anything about this. I will take sole blame and accept whatever consequences it may bring.’ At this, I focused steadily on Gabe and Judy, who were standing not far from me.

The rest of the slaves at the Russell Manor had always looked at me weirdly. Of course, I was black, and African, but I think they gave me the strange eye because I spoke impeccable English, almost like the British. I didn’t talk like they did, with the slurs and ebonics; I always used my “th” and “h’s”, and didn’t use slangs; although I picked up a few along the way as I lived with them. But as soon as Flint and I got together and I got to have Meg and Mel as sisters, they overlooked my discrepancies.

But deep down, they knew I was different.

Their ancestors had been slaves for years in America, while my village was only recently discovered when I was captured, and by the British, not America. They were familiar with being overworked on the white man’s field till they dropped, but I had grown up in a house where I survived by my own cunning. I had developed a mentality of determinedly ending my troubles myself, by any means possible, but they had grown adjusted to accepting their fate. They probably saw me as an uneasy volcano waiting to erupt.

And I did.

I had already briefed Gabe and Judy, my comrades, about what we were to do next. The set date was 5 days away. I had thought everyone would be on board with what I had in mind, but fear was a critical factor here. The rest of the slaves didn’t know what to do with themselves while I planned and plotted, but I didn’t think they would stay back once they saw the gates open. I instructed Gabe and Judy to intimate no one of our plans. The slaves knew we were escaping but they didn’t know how. I wanted to keep it that way.

The day appointed was a Sunday. The day was strategic and I picked it for several reasons. On Sundays, we had less chores and even Madam Russell relaxed. I learned later that in other white households, they had the reverend come over to the fields for a service with the slaves - only free black people were allowed to go to the church itself. But there in the Manor, we were all locked up and couldn’t have anyone over to preach to us. Tricia tried to fill in a few times to as many as would listen to her mini sermons, and sometimes she would raise some old hymns and others would join in. In all their hardship, the black Americans were deeply religious and kept Sundays for the Lord. So it went every week, and we would gather around, sing songs, and tell stories just to relax.

Another thing I knew was that Amy usually went out on Sundays; probably to see friends, I guess. Although she went out often, Sunday was a day she didn’t fail to go out on. I was rest assured that she would be absent that fateful Sunday, as was her custom. This would ensure I had less people to deal with that day.

Another thing I knew was that Sunday was a day that saw a lot of folks indoors. People would most likely be in church, or in their homes, taking the day off from their farms. No one would be plowing the fields or working outdoors in any way, and we could sneak through the countryside undetected. Sunday was perfect.

My plan was also foolproof. Quite simple really: Gabe was supposed to distract Jerome by telling him that Madam Russell demanded his presence in her quarters, then steal the keys to the gates and to the building where the carriages were kept. The coachman’s quarters wasn’t large; the keys wouldn’t be hard to find. Then he would give the keys to the back gate to Judy, who would have been waiting by the carriage house for Gabe. I had decided that we would leave through the back gates and go through the trees which would provide us some cover before we came out into the open fields. Judy would run to the gates and get them opened as Gabe let the horses out and hooked them to the carriages. When Judy had got the gates wide open, she would run back to help Gabe with the carriages. Together they would bring them out front where we would all pile into them and get the hell out of there.

On the other hand, I would get the gun from Madam Russell’s room and use it to hold her down. If she was in her room at that time, she wouldn’t know what was happening until I had the gun in her face. She was used to slaves being demure and subservient, so it would all be a blur as I went for the gun on her wall and turned the business end in her direction. And if she wasn’t in the room at that time, I would find her and get her to her room with the gun in my hand. I had no doubts that she would move at my gun’s command. And as soon as Gabe sent Jerome to her room, I would have the two of them in one place, at what point I would demand that Jerome tie her up to the bedpost with a rope I was prepared with, and then tie up Jerome myself. Then I would lock the door and rush outside to the carriages waiting outside.

Leaving through the back gates would ensure no one suspected anything while coming through the front gate. Not that anyone would come anyway. Except Amy. And she would meet the front gate nicely locked. By the time she would figure it out to the back gate, find her mother inside, and discover what had happened, we would be long gone.

We knew it would look suspicious if people saw slaves driving carriages through the roads, but we would cross that bridge when we got to it. And that was exactly why I chose Sunday. There would be few people on the roads, and even if people saw, the men driving carriages would be wearing hats with their heads down and would be keeping the horses at a consistent speed. When we couldn’t use the carriages anymore, we would use our legs. But I hoped we could use the carriages for a long time. This would ensure we got to Pennsylvania quicker. I didn’t have everything in detail; I would just have to rely on my wits when we got out there. But first things first.

Sunday came. I signalled to Judy and Gabe as we sat around the other slaves, hearing old Mr. Fisher lead hymns with his deep throaty voice. Let it be that the others were busy with the Lord while I rid us all of slavery. The three of us got up at the same time and proceeded to our stations. I headed straight for the main house, on my way to Madam Russell’s room. I watched Gabe head to Jerome's quarters and saw Judy go to wait at the carriage house.

I arrived at Madam Russell’s door and knocked. I hadn’t seen her anywhere in the house and I wanted to be sure she was in her room. The idea was to act like I had come to serve her or petition her for something or see if she wanted anything, so she would let me in, and so I would have time to edge towards the gun opposite her bed. I knocked again, but there was no answer. She must be somewhere around the house, I reasoned. I would take the gun and find her.

I cautiously opened the door and entered inside. It was dark, as the curtains were still drawn and sunlight wasn’t entering. I looked to the bed to see if the Madam was sleeping in, but saw in the dim light that she wasn’t there. Something began to tick in my mind; the same thing that had ticked the first time I saw Master Wells at Marc’s place, thinking he was a factory superintendent come to hire more workers. And just like that time, I ignored it and proceeded to the wall facing her giant bed, my mind on the gun.

Only to find it empty.

The gun was gone.



_________________________________________

Hey you!

Ha! See what I did there? The gun was GONE. I think it's funny.

Wonder what Mosana is going to do now. I smell a rat. Oh well, we find out next Sunday!

xoxo,
Ava.


Comments

  1. Omo mehn, you're good. Damn this suspense is too much for me to bear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts